12.08.2011

I had a moment.
I was asked a question the other day...what do you like to do?
how simple is that?
honestly though, I was like a deer in headlights. caught, awkwardly with not one thing to say.
nothing was coming to mind. no interests. no hobbies.
changing diapers. playing at the park. cleaning the kitchen again. reading stories. playing cars. wiping noses. fixing meals.
That is all i could think of.
i stumbled my way through it and managed to mumble something along the lines of sewing? & shopping? {eek!} those are interests, right?
devin had to prompt me to say 'tennis' although i don't play tennis anymore, either.

Later that evening...I had a little teary moment where i felt deep inside that I had lost my identity.
who am I besides a mom?
what do i do besides wipe noses?

After a few days to reflect...
I realized that I should have responded to that simple question with exactly that.

I love being a mom!!
i take great interest in my 3 little ones! 
helping them to discover their world, 
feel loved, 
and learn how to love.
they are helping me to be more humble, more quick to forgive, love unconditionally, and LAUGH more. 
challenge me and fill my days with joy.


now why was I staggering to find something really fabulous to say?  


what interest is greater than this?













{disclaimer :  I am ALL about girls nights, girls trips!, having hobbies, getting out of the house....they are a must and very rejuvenating}


5 comments:

agirlnamedgay said...

i feel like that's a critical step to enjoying motherhood...realizing that you do it because you like it and that's what you're good at or going to get good at! it's a rite of passage to be a mom...coming from a place where you thought you lost your identity to realizing a mom is your identity and you're ok with that. loving these family pics!

Jason and Kate said...

Great post! I sometimes feel like that too. Maybe that is why I like to exercise and shop so much. :) but being a mom really is the best!

Kathy said...

When I was a young woman, being a wife and mother was all there was. Oh, you could be a teacher, a nurse or a secretary, but that was only until you became a mother. I couldn't wait until it was my turn. Eventually, (after I was a teacher for a few years), it was my turn. To be blessed with a child--my dream come true. One after another. Yes, there were difficult moments and days. And down the road, other interests and obligations divided my time. But my fondest hopes and dreams are always centered around my family. Now my children have children. I cherish the opportunities I have to see them guiding their own.

Robin said...

Becca, I know you must think Im crazy bc I always write on your blog and say how alike things are for us (or were before you one uped us to 3 --haha jk) but really you could not have taken the mouths more out of my mouth! I often wonder if i've become boring. And perhaps in the sense of a young college kid I have. Who knows. But I think you're right that its ok to be wrapped up in our kids. Because if not us, then who ...

Anyways, gracias for the post. Makes me feel like I'm a little more sane.

Michelle said...

Thank you for your words! I so needed to hear that today because I often struggle with those feelings. So many of my friends and neighbors work or have something else they” do”, and I'm just a mom. So thank you for reminding me that being just a mom is not only enough, its the best, most important thing I could be doing everyday all day right now! Miss you guys! Xoxo