Oh to have the Faith of a Pioneer!
I am amazed at the enduring faith of the early Saints. They so easily left all their belongings, their beautiful city of Nauvoo, and the temple that they had sacrificed to build behind (in February!) because they had faith in a prophet and in God that he would lead them where they needed to be. They suffered so much. (and I can tell you after living out here in the bone-chilling winters...I would have died the first day) They lost their children, They were asked to leave their families to serve missions, they faced persecution, but they had such FAITH.
Maybe it is because I am facing a personal trial requiring faith in God...but the strength & faith of those early Saints touched me so deeply. Our trip to Nauvoo was awesome. We were able to listen to the sweet testimonies of the senior missionaries as they detailed stories of the early saints and the faith they possessed, drive along the banks of the majestic mississippi river, and go on a spiritual carriage ride to inspiration point where the Prophet Joseph Smith would go to ponder. It made me want to serve a mission in Nauvoo when I get old and caused my testimony to grow! The Nauvoo Temple is aMaZinG. When I first caught glimpse of the temple it was a moment I won't soon forget. There is a special power exuding from that temple and it brought tears to my eyes.
The funny part about the trip was Nauvoo is very uninhabited this time of year. (the off season)Everything closes at 5pm and there was nowhere to eat! And if any of you know devin...that is a big problem. We enjoyed white, cheap, sandwhich bread with butter spread on it (no credit cards excepted) and then one greasy fast food stop after another and ate chips and wheat thins in the hotel room while hugh napped. We did find a little chinese restaurant dive where I got to use my mandarin to communicate to the owner and her son. :) It was a trip to remember. I HIGHLY recommend it.




13 comments:
What a fun trip! You need to teach me how to digital scrapbook (One more thing I should do now that I have a kid in tow). Cute pictures. My fav is the one of you looking into the river while holding Hughie and he is looking at camera. You guys look good in all pics. Such a cute family!
forgot to say...I'll have to convince Jas to come and go to Nauvoo (if he could only stay in someone's house)....I"ll work on it.:)
Becca what a great trip, it makes me want to go right now! It is on my list of wants. loved all the pictures!
Becca what a great post. I felt the power of that sacred place thru your words. We sure miss you guys. Hope you are well.
What a fun trip. Cute, cute pictures.
That looks so fun. I hope we can do that soon! I haven't been to Nauvoo since I was little.
Your scrap book pages are so cute. How do you do them? Do you print them out in a book or something? I have been thinking about scrap booking lately, but it is expensive and I don't want my kids to pull the pictures off the pages (like I did when I was little). Anyways, please share your ideas :)
Hey guys. I'm jealous. We were going to go there a little while ago but it didn't work out. I'm glad to see you had such a great time. You guys look great and I can't believe how big little Hugh is. Look forward to seeing you guys again someday.
Love Bakes.
We really need to get to Nauvoo before we leave the Mid-West. Thanks for the sweet testimony.
K you are getting me excited to move to the Midwest!! I went to Nauvoo a couple years ago but only stayed for a couple hours, so I am excited to take a trip out there again. I think Nauvoo will be the way I can get people to come out and visit me.
p.s your dig scrapbooking skills are amazing!
I did a semester in Nauvoo the year the temple was finished and I fell in love with that place-it has such an amazing spirit there and I LOVED going to the trail of hope. I made pete take me back there the summer after we got married so we could go thru the temple. I am glad you guys had such a great time.
I am sorry for the lack of excitement-imagine spending three months there-our highlight was driving over to the Walmart in Iowa:)
What digital scrapbooking software do you use?
What a great trip. I love your post. Like everyone has said it makes me want to go to nauvoo and learn to digital scrapbook. what a cute little family and that hughie...we need to get him and cecily together asap. they would be the most adorable couple!!! we love ya and can't wait for you to visit your family here and see you too! xo
Becca...I can't believe how big Hugh is getting! He is adorable. It's so nice to check in on you and see how your family is doing. I love the digital scrapbook pages, you are so talented.
I'm so glad you got to go to Nauvoo. It really is the best experience. I had been before but we took Lee's parents 2 years ago and they were so humbled by it- it really touched me as well. It was funny because my mother-in-law had to pluck a leaf or take a rock from every little spot. She even filled up water bottles of the Mississippi River. Stinky! :) But I loved how much they appreciated it! I just stared at that trail of hope and wondered how they crossed it! Faith is right!!
Post a Comment