7.08.2010

anyone who tries to tell you that "DVR" saves time because you 'don't have to watch the commercials"..... is living in la la land.
I used to live there...and I quite enjoyed it.
Now that we are on a DVR vacation...is there even a reason to turn on the TV?
I haven't found one yet.

Greetings from the land of the blazing heat. I really think AZians don't realize how wonderful it is to have a blue sky every single day. Let me recap my omaha winter for them where I didn't see the sun for 4 months :). I have already heard from 3 people today,with an undisguised excitement in their voice, "it might rain this weekend" (20% chance!). I guess you want what you don't have. But you really can't beat the blue sky.

We are settling in and sweating all along the way. I tried to do the energy saver plan for utilities and lasted 1 day. I could not take the hike up 3 degrees on my AC. whew! It is hot. I am starting to adjust to an 80 degree house and pretending it is "cool." All you have to do is step outside for 2 seconds and walk back inside and it feels like a freezer. The sun is bright and blaring at 5am (which is good & bad - bad that my kids wake up at the crack of dawn/ good that it doesn't feel so awful to get up ) To sum it up... I am melting!
By far it has been so fun to live close by my siblings. I think I have hung out with them more in the past month than I have in the past 10 years. Kate and I pretty much know each other's every move at this point and usually see each other & talk once or twice on the phone daily. We haven't lived by each other since when we lived at home and my freshman year of college...so it is really fun to be so close. (5min)

Devin is REALLY impressed with his residency program so far and LOVES the staff. He is pumped at the excellent training he is going to receive. It sounds like this program is very cutting-edge dentistry. sweet!

Our first week here we went to the park just hughie, tomi, & me. Hugh ran around the playground for a little bit and as we went to go home he looked up at me and said, "i want friends." It was so sad. I felt like I had to hold back a little tear from falling. I felt the same way. We miss the village and the friendships & the constant kids outside to play with. He is adjusting better now and loves having "my cousins" wherever we go (UT or AZ). Sometimes when we are eating out and a bunch of kids walk in to the restaurant, hugh will look over and say, "my cousins!" He is used to having new cousins everywhere we go.

Swimming in the baby pool in Aunt Kate's backyard

attempting to feed baby some food. She is not really having it right now. Just spits all the food right back out. You would think she would want to maintain those thighs :)

baby in May when she learned to grab her feet

More pics of trip to Utah & Newport to come....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made it to Arizona! That is so fun to live close to family!! Your kids are so adorable. Hugh will find friends out there fast. I'm sure that same experience will happen to us when we eventually leave the townhomes. They've been spoiled to have so many friends 24/7. Good luck on this new adventure in your lives!!!!

gardnerfamily said...

Welcome to Arizona! I had to laugh when I read your post because I know the feeling of stepping back into my house and feeling like it's cold... unfortunately it usually wears off in about ten minutes. We would love to have you guys over sometime once you get settled. Good luck with the heat!

Unknown said...

I am sure you are just melting there! but at least it is dry heat and no humidity. Kambryn said the same thing to me today about friends...nothing can ever replace the village!
oh and your little tomi! Stinking adorable!!!

The Hines Family said...

WE MISS YOU!!! Tell the kids to stop growing!!

Jason and Ashlee said...

Hey Becca - I'm not sure if you remember me, but I was Devins friend growing up. I thought I would say welcome to AZ - aren't you lovin the extreme temps and humidity ;) My husband and I would love to get together with you guys. I'm sure you're busy getting settled - so whenever you're free.

Robin said...

Congrats to you guys! That is so fun you are near your family now. Hope all is well! PS yOur kids are sooo adorable!

melissa said...

So glad that you are in AZ. Let's get together!!!;) You will get used to the heat. I know I have said this before, but the first year is the worst and soon 80 degrees wil feel cold to you! We love having you close and the kids are just loving their new friends "chewy" & "homey" xoxo

Emily Reese said...

Congrats on the big move to AZ! Your family looks beautiful.

The coffee table paint color is Brazon Gold from Wallmart $8.00. I used about 3 coats. I hope it works for you. Love, Em