most people bring corn nuts or cheetos. or maybe pb&J's.
well not in this family. we bring spam musubi on all our long car rides. no need to stop for mcdonalds just keep driving and hand me a 'spam sushi' as hugh calls it.
i had never even tasted spam or heard of spam musubi until I married devin. We got a caseload of seaweed & spam for our wedding. At the time, i sort of thought to myself, who gives seaweed & spam as a wedding gift?
Back in my pre-seaweed/spam days...
I pictured my prince charming somewhere in the ballpark of jake ryan from 16 candles. {ooo...ahh}
Not to label. but i honestly had never dated an asian boy nor been attracted to any that I knew.
On the flip side...i never really did FALL for anyone I dated.
That all changed when i met Devin my freshman year of BYU.
I FELL....and fell hard.
within hours...i was drawn to him. Was it his smile? His ability to listen? His kindness? His good heart? His love for Backstreet Boys? His sweet moves on the dance floor? His sincerity? His athletic physique? His strong faith & testimony? His ability to communicate? What wasn't there to LOVE?
I could easily & cheesily {mind you} walk hand in hand around BYU campus with him and didn't even care. So what if it was cheesy. I couldn't resist wanting to be close to him.
I could easily & cheesily {mind you} walk hand in hand around BYU campus with him and didn't even care. So what if it was cheesy. I couldn't resist wanting to be close to him.
I didn't know it THEN, ...but I was about to be the LUCKIEST girl in the world. We fell in love at that young age of 19...and oh how sweet it was. But honestly...i didn't know it THEN...how good I would have it. How blessed my life was going to be. How loving He would be. How steadfast & immovable he is. How unselfish & forgiving he would prove. How dedicated to his family and the things that matter most!
So now my life is filled with SPAM & seaweed, RICE AND mashed potatoes/gravy at Thanksgiving, gyoza, a sister in law that is always trying to communicate to me in japanese, kids that love tofu, miso soup, furikake, seaweed, & curry,{hugh won't even eat spaghetti}, a new LOVE for food {until you eat with the Matsumori Family you have never really enjoyed food before}, words that I don't even know the english for shamoji,moyashi,shoyu,nori,furikake, a second Family that would do anything for me, that teach me to walk in the path of Christ, and that I know love me! Not to mention some pretty cute kids.
AND I am so glad you didn't.
i would probably be eating spaghetti tonight.
10 comments:
This was an awesome post - having just come off a road trip to Utah and we definitely didn't eat this! You are braver than I am. I love your little blog and I can't believe how smiley Mae is, we have to really work to get a smile out of Annie - but they are just so sweet you don't really care. THanks for posting the picture of your house - that is roughly what mine looks like all day.
Bekka- I can feel secure in knowing we (as a clan, and my wife and I too) love you right back! As i tell Amy all the time, you married a Matsumori and you become more asian every day! hope all is well in the AZ sun!
Ironically, i am guessing that the sister in law that tries to communicate in Japanese is Jody not Misa ;)
You ALWAYS make me want to be a better person... seriously!!! LOVE you guys... and wish you were here everyday... even if you do like spam. I am not that asian yet, but am working on it :)
Loooved this. You have a way with words... will you blog for me? I'll tell you what I'm thinking, and you write...
Becca thanks for your sweet comment. I'll have you know I feel the same about your blog! I love that you are looking at food through new lens now. Oh it's so good! And devin married the perfect person to push a bit of Asian on!
so perfectly said. I love it!
peace out jake ryan, Devin Matsumori is in the house!
hahah
You guys are darling!
xoxo
Cami
Okay, WHAT? I don't speak Japanese to my other White Sisters....Loved the joy you expressed so well.
Such a beautiful post! Loved it! You and Devin so deserve each other. You both are amazing people!!
I love this post! You have such a fun way of expressing yourself. First of all I also thought Jake Ryan was a babe and the only other thing I saw him in was "Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken"- ha ha. Another blast from the past. But as you I would never have known that a whole other culture would be awaiting me. :) It is such a blessing!
And I totally remember the first time you showed me a picture of Devin- it was pinned on your bulletin board in your room or something and there was definitely a different enthusiasm in your voice when you talked about him. Then after your missions I'll never forget getting your wedding invite on my mission and seeing your beautiful contrasting complexions and thinking what an amazing couple you are! :) Love you guys! And yes- your kids have amazing coloring! :)
Just read this. Made me emotional. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment