11.07.2007

check ups

Hughie and i have both had doctor's appointments lately. Hughie had his 2 week check up and weighed in at 7lbs 1 oz. He regained his birth weight and then some....the breastfeeding is working!! Breastfeeding...that is a whole other subject. - I will just say each day gets a little better. Last week I was backpacking through the amazon of breastfeeding and it was not a pretty site, but this week things have gotten better...not so painful, hughie and I are figuring out our latching, found some comfortable bras (thanks you kelly!!), etc. It is nice to have friends who can relate and give good advice. Today we confronted "pumping" and tonight Devin is going to feed hughie his first bottle. Wish us luck. I will let you know how it goes!
I went in for a 2 week check up to see the midwife that delivered me. Her name is Heather Ramsey and I loved her! Midwives are the way to go!! I went to a group of 5 midwives and saw all of them during my prenatal care. Whoever is "on call" the day you go into labor is who delivers you. Well I lucked out because Heather was awesome. I really had only met her once before my delivery day at a routine appointment, but I was glad it was her on call. She was very calm, even during times of stress (hughie had a nuchal cord and was having some dips in his heart rate). She was a calm presence during my entire labor. She let Devin & I do our thing(devin was an amazing labor coach - I couldn't have asked for a better support - I love you Debo), but was there to direct the labor. She was very confident in my ability to birth this baby. When I was feeling discouraged she would look at me sincerely and with a serious tone say, "You can do this." And I did!!


8 comments:

Jason and Kate said...

He is soooo cute! He is starting to look a little differently (but still cute).

jaime said...

I have LOVED reading your blog.. I check in on you often.. YOU are such a GOOD mom, not only is he lucky to have such top notch mom, he is stinkin CUTE!!!
just hang in there with the nursing it gets down right easy at some point soon.. again becca you are just such a good mom!!! your cuz jaime

Ashley K. said...

Hang in there.... Breast feeding has never been easy for me. I salute you for sticking with it! I wasn't able to BF Davis after the first 2-3 months...

You are darling and so is that babe.

The Reichmans said...

Bec-it is not fair how skinny you already are. I am sorry that breastfeeding has been so difficult-it was for me and I ended up having to pump the entire time because of latching problems. good luck I hope it gets less painful-anne

youngfam said...

Becca-
I just wanted to say congratulations! What a cute little guy, and mama. It's fun to see what you are up to. Good luck with the bottle...my little guy chugged it anyway he could get it!
-tiff mears =)
ps glad to hear the bf is getting better. I had a hard time for like 4 months! But we are still going strong at 11 months.

Andrea said...

Becca--it is so fun to see you with that little guy in your arms. Way to go on the birthing process! I delivered with OBs both times, but have considered a midwife for the next time (no announcement--no fetus). We'll have to chat about it sometime.

Hang in there with the BFing--such a precious opportunity!

Andrea

Katie Webb said...

I am sorry, but it should be against the law to look that skinny 2 weeks after a baby. But, you know what they say, "have the baby Monday, back in your jeans by Friday." You really lived up to that.
Love you.

Kimberlee said...

Becca, you look amazing! Little Hugh is a cutie! I'm so excited for you guys! Hang in there with the breast-feeding! It'll get better...but be diligent in letting Debo feed Hugh a bottle. It gives you so much freedom. We did great with Jackson but not Ellie and now I regret it! Good luck!