3.06.2008

Road Trip


Unfortunately, (for devin) I have had the song " ...Everything's up to date in Kansas City....they've gone about as fur as they can go..." (Oklahoma soundtrack) stuck in my head. But for a good reason!
Devin is on spring break right now so we decided to pack up the fam and head out on our first road trip. First stop: Liberty Jail. This is one of my favorite church sites and it is only 3 hours away. We had sunny weather and the place to ourselves! I love visiting the Liberty Jail - there is a powerful spirit there...and it was at Liberty Jail that I first felt a strong testimony of Joseph Smith developing within me. You can't help but feel the spirit bearing witness of this great prophet. Visiting church sites also reminds me how little I know about church history. (i need to learn!) One amazing thing I learned at this visit was... the first revelation came after Joseph Smith and the other men had been in Liberty Jail for 110 days.

My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes. D&C 121: 7-8


We then ventured on to Independence where we made a stop by the visitor's center there. We chatted with the missionaries, toured through a Zion exhibit, and gave a try at conducting the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. We then headed off to Kansas City. We arrived smoothly at our hotel thanks to MapQuest!! (what would we do without it?)





We walked around the Plaza, an outdoor shopping area, and decided to try the BBQ in Kansas City at Jack Stack BBQ. We had baby back ribs with coleslaw, cheesy potatoes, and BBQ beans to die for!


I think Hughie was the only child in the place and was getting a little antsy. We headed back to the hotel where it turns out hughie was just needing some play time. He was so happy to be able to stretch and play. He was a little angel the whole trip and slept like a champ in his pack n play at the hotel.


Kansas City is really 'up to date'..... they have Einsteins Bagels,
7-11, Urban Outfitters...(things Omaha is lacking...)

12 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds like a great trip. I have never been to Liberty Jail, but after reading your post I have placed it on the must-see list.

Chelsea said...

How fun. I loved Liberty Jail, and it's true, such an amazing spirit there. Such a cute little family!!

Noakes Family said...

What a fun idea! Chad and I need to venture out more. I would love to see the church sites! SO how is everything going? Hughie is getting so big. It feels like you have to pack up your life whenever you go somewhere!

Annie said...

Isn't the plaza great?! Ladd and I took Elle there last year to do some shopping cause Jeff city is lacking right up there with Omaha...let us know if you go again - we're only two hours away! Hughie is adorable by the way:)

Melissa said...

I am glad you did Jack Stacks at the Plaza! so much fun!!!

The Reichmans said...

i love the picture of you eating ribs. I am impressed that you went on a road trip and that he was so great. Ryan kind of struggles in a pack n' play. I also love the church history sites. I did a semester in Nauvoo and so we went to all of them and it was really neat.

Unknown said...

KC was definitely the place to be over Spring Break 2008!! Wahoo! haha. Anyways, your little Hughie is just adorable!!

Church Family said...

Becca and Devin,

Your road trip looks like so much fun. Aren't those school breaks the BEST! I love your posts I can't help but smile at little Hughies big cheesers.

Jason and Kate said...

Looks like you had lots of fun! I love the pictures. That is my favorite quote as well.

Church Fam said...

That looks so fun. Little Hughie is growing and just getting so cute.
love you guys, Ty and Tiff

Lindsay said...

Oh my gosh...he is so cute!

Marshall and Dana said...

Hey looks like you guys had a blast. I would love to go down and see those church sites but since we are leaving soon I dont know if we will get to it. I did discover an Urban Outfitters a couple streets west of the Quest Center. It is in kind of a weird spot all by itself off of Abbot Dr. and like 13th or 16th(cant remember)But anyways, I love Kansas City we have been a few times to Great Wolf lodge. So fun!