nothing can prepare you for the zombie-like existense resulting from lack of sleep, the post-partum recovery (that doesn't seem to end @ 6 weeks), the ouchiness & frustration of bfeeding, the daunting task of keeping this little one alive and not really knowing how, the 24 hour 'on duty', the fear of failure, the newness and 'not knowing what to do,' ......
And no none can properly describe the sheer joy that infuses into life after the gift of a new baby. I would say happiness, but JOY is a stronger word and encompasses the feeling a little closer. I can't believe a year has already passed....and my little baby is now a little bOy. This year has changed my life in the BEST possible way. Little hugh has brought so many smiles to my every day! I have watched this little boy each day with sincere awe as he grew. I rejoiced at his first smile, amazed as he discovered his own hands, shocked at his first roll over, sang the hallelujah chorus when he slept through the night, delighted in his first laugh, followed after his crawl, noticed the bond between son & daddy, peeked around the corner to his giggles, ....and continue to sMiLe at his contagious personality, and LOVE to be with my little hugh.



.
hugh had a happy birthday.
we had some friends over and feasted on boston cream cupcakes and homemade french peasant bread dipped in cheese fondue (in honor of hugh's love for cheese). Yum. I instructed the crowd to sing "happy birthday" softly and end with a golf clap....because hugh cries in response to loud noises...He inherited grandma kathy's startle reflex. He did great...but was a little afraid of the lit candle flame on his birthday cupcake. Seen in picture above.
After a taste or two of chocolate.. he started to warm up to this birthday thing.


10 comments:
Hugh is so darn cute! Happy Birthday! And I love your opening paragraph...So True. But then you forget and you do it all over again....but it is so worth it!
Hugh is so cute, Happy Birthday to the little guy! I love reading your blog, you convey just how I feel about motherhood and my own babies. Thanks!
It was so fun to have you and little Hugh down here. We can't wait to see you guys again next month and of course we love that you are bringing Devin with you. There are a few boys, little and big that are looking forward to seeing him. :)
How Cute! I get such a kick out of your blog because Hugh is so the first child. Not that we don't love second children as much, but there is such a difference...check out my blog if you don't get it. Smile. I love his teeth by the way. We need to catch up!
Happy Birthday to your darling boy!
Happy Birthday Hugh!! What a sweet little guy! So cute!
So cute! Happy Birthday Hugh! :) The first year flies! I have to ask, do you do scrapbook pages and then scan them in? I love how you organize your pics. Teach me please. :) Have a Happy Halloween!
Becca, what a wonderful post. It has been so fun to share this first year of motherhood with you. It really does change your life doesn't it and you are a wonderful mom. What a sweet sweet boy.
happy birthday hughie...you have the most incredible mommy and daddy!
Hi Becca! Your blog is adorable. I'm loving your pictures of Hugh - he is so CUTE! His smile could light up a dark room. I love it!
Post a Comment