8.25.2010

We survived our first campout. Let's just say I gave Devin a tent for his birthday the first year we were married...and we had to dust it off for our voyage campout last weekend. We are not campers. But since the ward was providing breakfast and smores i thought it was a good EASY place to start. Thanks to Whit & Laura for letting us borrow all their mattresses & sleeping bags.
Devin gets home late from work on Fridays so we didn't arrive to the campsite until 9pm (1 & 1/2hr drive...to escape the heat) We missed the smores ...:(
but it was so nice to be in cooler temperatures (low 80's).


It is so hard to shed the associations my brain has been forming for almost 30 years....
Summer = outdoor concerts, bbq's, hanging out on the green grass, outdoor parties....
AZ summer = swimming, staying inside. :(
Camping = cold. This has been my most prevalent memory of camping. COLD. FREEZING. LAYERS.

So of course I brought long sleeve for the kids and extra blankets and sweatshirts,etc. Well I think Sis was mad and wouldn't go to bed at first because she was HOT. Devin kept telling me, "This is hotter than our house!" {where she sleeps in just a onesie} So i wrapped her in a thin muslin blanket and called it good. I even slept in shorts and short sleeve with a sheet on me most the night. Crazy. I did wear jeans at the campsite just because I really wanted to wear jeans! i miss them.

AZ Camping = NOT cold. that is my kind of camping. :)



Anyway.... It was fun and the kids slept really well. I loved our little tent because the roof was mesh so you literally were sleeping under the stars and could see them all night.

Hugh and I read Curious George goes Camping all week in preparation for the big day. Right when we arrived at the campsite hugh got really spooked. It was pitch black and we were walking around with our flashlights. He was so scared and wanted me to hold him. It turns out he was scared that there was a skunk lurking. {Curious George gets sprayed by a skunk in the book} Well that backfired! I had to show hugh all the bushes and explain that there weren't any skunks by our tent. {i hope!}

Baby slept so good and i woke up around 645am to her sweet cooing and smiles. {my favorite alarm clock}





inside the tent.

hughie rolling around in the car while we loaded everything


getting ready to head home

4 comments:

Unknown said...

becca I miss you tons! It looks like AZ is treating you guys pretty well! but anyways, your little Tomi is adorable! And of course so is Hugh! well miss you girl!

Jason and Kate said...

I still think like that about summers and I've lived in AZ for 8 years now! Jason thinks I should get over it but I don't think I ever will. Glad you had fun camping.

Shelby said...

He looks like a teenager practically. I'm loving his hair and the little curls/waves in the front. I still want to adopt one of your kids. Can I commission a child from you and Devin? Please? I think you owe me for listening to your personal song and all of Devin's letters (I'm sure not all, but it seemed like it!). :)

petey said...

debo. i almost didn't recognize/spot you in the woods in your camo.