
Monday night Devin and I attended our first birthing class. Devin was soaking up every minute... when all of the sudden we heard a siren go off. We were near a hospital so at first instinct I thought it was an ambulance...but the siren never faded or "drove" away. The other couple in our birthing class looked at each other with a puzzled look and said, "that is a tornado warning.." We looked at the window and sure enough there was this gigantic, life-size speaker blasting out a loud siren-like noise. It was indeed a "Tornado Warning." We gathered in the back room away from the windows and turned on the radio. The radio signal was faint, but we could determine that the 'tornado' was north of where we were, but traveling quickly. The weather outside soon turned into a terrential rain storm with high speed wind. We huddled back in the back lobby for a while, but this being our first midwestern storm, we wanted to see the action. The native Nebraskans informed us that the rain would have to subside before a tornado could hit. The calm before the storm.... Well, the calm part never came. So eventually we sat back down at the table and carried on with our birthing class. (much to Devin's relief!) There did end up being big trees and powerlines knocked over by high winds resulting in power outages and a big mess. The damage occured in Northeast Omaha and we live in Southeast Omaha. I guess it pays to live in the ghetto sometimes! (our little village green is a nice community, but outside of village green is a little sketchy)
7 comments:
I guess you're not in Kansas anymore, Toto!
Bec-that is so crazy! It sounds as if you are having quite the adventure out there! I am glad that your house was safe-anne
i guess you should start watching the weather channel more often.
I think that is so funny. We use to have tornado drills in school and the tornado alarm goes off outside. Just like you described every first monday of the month to make sure it was working. We would go out in the hall while doing this drill and we would get down into a special position. LIke a little ball and we would have to cover our heads. I think it is funny to hear that people have never heard of them. I guess it is wierd that I have childhood memories of practicing and learning about the drill at home and at school.
ok, i'm with heather, considering i'm also from st louis. but i will also say that i rarely remember the tornado siren actually going off therefore i feel like you have already experienced more of the midwest in your couple weeks than i did in my 21 years!! scary.
That's crazy! Glad you guys made it ok.
Yikes...after seeing how flat that land is I was worried...I am just glad you have a basement!!!
I am sure interested to see how the class went!!!
Be careful out there.
Post a Comment