9.07.2007

the good, the bad, and the creepy crawly...

Well we have lived in Omaha for about a month...

the good:
-village green is the best little community - full of friendly people
-village green monthly card night - fun way to meet people and discover my "crafty" skills (i put discover because i am still in search)
- Institute on Tuesdays @ the Village Green clubhouse - the teacher is really good and so patient with all the crying babies crawling everywhere (including all around his feet)
- I made friends with "Gus" - this old man here at Village Green who has given me not only one, but two recycle bins (my first one went missing) so I can RECYCLE!!
- my cute, little town house that I enjoy cleaning and hanging out in
- having dinner cooking for my hardworking husband when he gets home (just wait till I start work/have a baby....hello party pizza)
- Creighton Womens Dental Alliance - another fun way to meet friends. We already had an activity, bake sale (I made oreo cookies), and somehow I ended up as Sophomore Rep.
- my cute baby's room that I have pieced together little by little. It is a random combination of blues with hints of green and a dash of monkey...(i have always been a mismatcher). The blue is very soothing and makes me happy!
- I love the midwives I am seeing here in Omaha for prenatal care

the bad:
- the speed limit is only 60mph on the freeway. And on the way to Iowa the speed limit is only 55mph which results in slow driving. (kate - this one is for you...when I first got my license and was too timid to go past 55 mph and you had to remind me, "they increased the speed limit to 65!"
-humidity - although I sense fall approaching as the air was cooler today
- cooking with a gas oven is tricky. Luckily I have a thermometer in my oven. When I want to cook @ 350 I set the gas for 250....
- ghetto grocery stores. I will say two words - "no frills" (that is the closest grocery store - it is a scary site and you better check the expiration dates!) no....I have found better grocery stores a little farther away and we go to Walmart
- It rains cats & dogs here, but that is kind of fun, too

the creepy crawly:
- nature is out to get me here! I almost face planted an ornate web with a gigantic, hairy spider in the middle right outside my front door! It appeared overnight. Now I am very observant when I walk around not to lallygag my way into a big web
- I went walking for my exercise at the Botanical Garden parking lot. (it is really close by and has good hills and stairs to climb) I was turning a curb when a snake jumped off the curb and leaped at me! It was green and yellow and quite small....but still!
- there are gigantic cicadas that make music at night
- massive crickets are everywhere - including my basement



3 comments:

The Reichmans said...

I don't think that I would handle the insect population very well. I am proud of you for being so brave. When do you start work? Are you working in peds still? How are you feeling? Sorry I should just email, but it was easier just to leave a comment for you!

Jason and Kate said...

Remind me not to come visit when it's extra humid and when all the bugs are dead. Yikes! I forgot I said that about the speed limit. lol

Misa S said...

I HATE large crickets! We used to have them in our basement apartment. They were so BIG! I had never seen anything like it before! I used to chase them around and trap them with a pan because I was too scared to smash them...they were just to big! Then I would let Jamie take care of them when he got home! This humid weather brings all sorts of nasty bugs! Good luck with them! I am just glad everything else is going so well!