I had a special experience at work today... I had a busy morning shift and finally when the day slowed down and I was able to catch up....I had to "float" to another unit. I guess our unit was slow and another unit was swamped - anyway- not the best news to have to drop everything and go to another unit to get a whole new assignment. (besides I had already bonded with my patients!) So I floated down to the Neuro trauma unit. I ended up having an easy assignment. I was just needed as a "recovery nurse"to closely monitor a patient while they were waking up from sedation. The patient was very sleepy the whole time I was there. His family took a break while he was so sleepy so they were gone while I was there. This cute little 4th grader developed encephalopathy due to an unknown infection. It was first discovered because he had a seizure during football practice. His room was decorated with pictures of him, letters from his football team, and cards from his class at school. I couldn't help but feel the loss of this family for their once healthy son. Right as I was about to leave the mom and two brothers arrived. they had big smiles on their faces. They set a huge basket of candy down at the nurses station for all the nurses to have. They also had in their hands a basketball jersey-like top and bottom for a kid a few rooms over who had suffered a car accident and was left paralyzed from the waist down. I could tell they had made good friends with this boy and his family. As I saw the candy and the jersey they had brought for the other injured boy I had to swallow back the tears....This family amazed me with their love and genuine concern for others. They were reaching out to help others when they themselves were in so much need of help themselves....
"this world's gone crazy and it's hard to believe - that tomorrow could better than today......believe it anyway." martina mcbride
5 comments:
that's so sweet. Often times the people who are hurting the most end up being the ones to serve others.
Hey Devin- This is Jenny Osborne(the one that was a year younger than you!)well, it is actually Jenny Egbert now. Anyway- I wanted to say congrats on getting in to Creighton and Jon my husband(You probably remember him from high school too) is starting the RDEP program this August so we need to keep in touch and we will see you in Omaha!! Let us know where you are living because we already got our place in Village Green. Our e-mail is eldereggy@yahoo.com!
Becca, that is such a sweet story. What amazing people to think of others when they were in a challenging situation themselves. What a great example!
Becca I loved that story! Thanks for sharing....I love hearing about random acts of kindness..and that there are still great people in this world! Hope all is well and we hope to get together soon!
you made me tear up you bugger... maybe it is because I am so tired from writing papers ll night and working today but dang!
Post a Comment