1.16.2008

acting out dreams

babies are such an interesting phenomenon.
My latest discovery...
usually when hugh wakes up from a nap he will wimper,squawk, make on and off noises, etc. After a while if no one comes, he will start to cry.
Sometimes hughie will be sleeping so soundly.. And then..from amongst a peaceful sleep he will instantly and suddenly let out a really sad, loud cry. The kind of cry that makes me jump out of bed at 4am because i think he is being nibbled on by a rat or something. It sounds like a danger cry....
But as suddenly as it comes...it disappears. And he is back to his peaceful bliss.
Was it a bad dream or thought? I know little babies are in REM sleep a lot... is he acting out his dream? Hugh is taking a nap right now and just let out "the scream" that is what made me think of it.


here is hughie in his camo. PS - This blanket used to dwarf him! He is getting so long and so big.

PS Does anyone have any good tips on how to get your baby to sleep through the night or just sleep longer?? Is it too early in the game to be expecting this? Please comment back with any tips or tricks or suggestions you have!

It is way cold here in good ole Omaha. Yesterday I was all excited because it was sunny. I bundled hughie and walked around village green to deliver some invitations to a dental activity. After walking down the sidewalk I realized how deceiving the sunshine had been. The wind was biting and I needed a gater just to walk around the block! Hughie was nice and bundled and didn't mind the cold. His cheeks and nose were red and cold just like his mommy's, but his core was warm.

7 comments:

Noakes Family said...

Becca...you need to read the book "baby wise" It is a miracle worker. Cohen started sleeping through the night last week. Every baby is different though. It is a good theory because they learn to sleep without having to cry it out. I have some friends that have their babies cry it out around 3 or 4 months, so you could do that also...it takes only three nights of crying, but they are brutle nights.

Shelby said...

I also live and swear by Baby Wise. Go get it at the library (make sure you get the first one). Allie slept solidly through the night around three or four months and still sleeps like a gem because of the good habits we formed. I love the book because I love a schedule and it is pretty schedule oriented. Call me if you have questions cause I sure did!

Lisa said...

I never read any books about getting your baby to sleep. However, the general consensus is that a baby can get through the night without eating when they are 16 lbs. I too believe in a schedule and unless your baby needs to eat you should not get them out of the crib, but you can do things to comfort them while they stay in their bed.
All I know for sure is that you will feel like a new woman when he sleeps through the night.

Jason and Kate said...

a rat nibbling on him? Only you! lol

agirlnamedgay said...

i also swear by baby wise. it's easy to understand and works! and the hard part is during the day when you have more energy to enforce a schedule!

tim and priscilla said...

you probably don't remember me, but tim and i like to check out your blog to see the little one. he is so cute. our baby is two months older than yours and is not the best sleeper, but he is getting better. i have tried many books and he is just a persistent little sucker. one doctor told me to let him cry and go in after 5, 10, 15, 20...min until he falls asleep. another doctor said to check in once and that's it. i have done both. it breaks my heart to let him cry 2hrs straight, so i like the first doctor's advice. he falls asleep faster. pick a feeding you want him to skip and don't feed him, he will stop waking up at that time after a few days. that has worked for us, we do follow the daytime scheduling on babywise. i feel that everyone's baby sleeps better than ours. sorry so long.

Andrea said...

Becca--I liked "Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child", but most importantly I needed Andrew to keep me in bed when I wanted to get out and "help" the crying stop. Once they sleep through the night motherhood gets EVEN BETTER! Hang in there.

Andrea