
piece of cake... yeah right!
I now have new respect and appreciation for devin. This past saturday the Creighton Women's Dental Alliance (membership consisting of pretty much 100% Village Green dental wives...devin calls it "the dental wives club" - he thinks that is the official name) had an activity where we carved a "cavity prep" ... aka got to drill a tooth! It was so much fun. Devin was thrilled about the activity and I only wished he could have been there to show me the ropes...
They provided us with an extracted wisdom tooth that was secured in plaster in an ice cube tray. Then they prepared us with a makeshift explanantion of what a cavity prep should look like...."dovetail, dogbone shape" "converging sides" "dentin, pulp"...you know...

And then they let us at it! ...with supervision of course. I started out with the slow speed drill and putted along trying to carve my tooth. Then i got behind the power of the high speed! The tooth practically melted away with the touch of the high speed drill. And you wonder why you have always smelled a slight burning smell at the dentist?? One little wrong turn with this puppy and your tooth is toast! It was pretty tricky keeping the drill on the tooth. I really don't know how a dentist (aka devin) keeps the drill focused in one spot and off the gums when he is awkwardly in your mouth looking at the tooth upside down with nothing more that a tiny little mirror to guide the way. Not to mention 'objects in the mirror are closer than they appear...' After we drilled away at our tooth we got to put an amalgam (silver) filling in, mash it down, and then carve away and restore the "anatomy" back to the tooth. Whew! I was proud of my little cavity and my little hubbie dentist!

3 comments:
What a great activity! It sure looks like fun. I do think it is hard to adjust to looking in those little mirrors and thinking everything is actually backwards. Good thing there are people like Dentists who master the skill and fix our teeth.
You had me laughing so hard! That activity must have been quite the adventure but it looks like you have it down! Why do they go to school for so long? You filled that tooth just about perfect and learned in what 2 hours? Just kidding! I definitely know that I would NOT have the confidence to put a drill in someones mouth! More power to Devin!
i never thought that i would see this! i think that is awesome and fun for you too. devin must be proud. hughie has gotten so big and so darn cute. pretty soon he will be crawling and then watch out! xoxo melissa
Post a Comment