10.27.2007

thoughts on being a mommy





To find yourself lying in a hospital bed gazing over at a little angel all bundled up in his bassinet and realizing... "He is mine." "I am his momma." "He is my son." - is an experience hard to describe. My heart is so full of joy! Little Hughie has changed my life in such a wonderful way. He is my little bundle of joy and I love him so much.


I am not a morning person - anyone who knows me will vouch for this. I can go to bed early and still bearly drag myself out of bed by 9:00. (my preferred wake up time is 9:45) So how is the shock of no sleep and early mornings treating me?..quite well. The difference is I have a sweet little boy to wake up to. I do have to wipe the sleep out of my eyes, but after I jump out of bed I cuddle this little boy and fall in love. He is so perfect! And so dang cute!



This first week did not come without the ups & downs of being a new mommy. I could not have survived the week without the help of my mommy!!! She saved my life. I feel the love of a parent as I have a little boy of my own now....And I certainly felt this love coming from my mom this week. We picked her up from the aiport on our way home from the hospital. She helped me through the 2:00am trip to Walmart the first night home to purchase some needed things. She saved me more than once from the stress and frustration of early breastfeeding by encouraging me and insisting that we take a break. She read a pamphlet to me on breastfeeding techniques and helped me figure it all out! (saved me!) She was my moral support during the 2am/3am feedings and would help soothe baby hughie to sleep while I slept. She cooked me tasty meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, grocery shopped for me, and went to the store daily for little things. She accompanied me to my first outing with the baby (doctor's appointment - we were 20 minutes late...where Helga "with the big hands" RN squeezed hughie's leg for all it was worth to get some drops of blood) and helped me through the 'jaundice' worrying period. And she was so fun to hang out with. THANK YOU MOM!!


14 comments:

Katie Webb said...

I am so happy for you guys. Hugh is honestly the most beautiful baby I have ever seen. Leave it to you Becca to go natural, look gorgeous during it, and make all the rest of us look bad. I am so sad that I am so far away because I want to squeeze his little cheeks. Aren't moms the best? What would we do without them, and what would Hugh do without you?

Jason and Kate said...

Okay...almost make me cry why don't you.

Andrea said...

Becca:
Congratulations and welcome to the exhausted phase of life. It is fabulous, but so tiring. Ash and I are together this weekend and just keep laughing as we forget what we are talking about--we are just so tired.
We love you,
Andrea and Ashley

Misa S said...

SOOOO cute! Love seeing the pics of the little guy. I clicked on them so that Thomas could see them close up...he loved it! He kept looking and pointing then looking at me. He can't wait to meet him! Becca, isn't being a mommy super!!!???

The Reichmans said...

I remember feeling a million of emotions after Ryan was first born-it is such an amazing emotional time-you definitely feel very alive (even though you are half asleep) because of all the emotions you feel. I remember just staring at Ryan in the hospital amazed at the love I could feel for something so small and who I just met. I was just blown away at the thought that I helped to make him-it really is a miracle that they are healthy. I am glad that you are doing so well adjusting. You are going to be an amazing mom.

agirlnamedgay said...

so precious, becca. being a mom is one of those things you just have to experience to understand! i'm glad things are going so well!!

The Four Eggs said...

Congratulations!!! We can't wait to meet him and see you guys in May! Well, They haven't actually told us if we are moving in May or July so we plan on the crappy May!!! We are so happy for you guys and way to go for going natural!!!!! We are having a boy in March so they will be close in age! Have fun with the joys of being a parent. Keep in touch!-Jon, Jenny and Rylee Egbert

Shelby said...

I loved that first week and reading your description of how it feels to be a new mommy literally brought tears to my eyes! Isn't it so great. When my mom left after the first week I cried because I didn't think I could do it without her. It was hard to let her go. So glad you are happy with your ADORABLE little boy (he really is sooo cute).

AshleyS said...

Wes showed me your blog, I love all the pictures! I put one together tonight! Everything about being a mom is just amazing and although it doesn't seem possible, it just keeps getting better. We are so happy for you guys. What is your new address?

Michelle said...

That was so sweet Becca! I hope my mom can come do the same thing for me someday, that sounded REALLY nice! What good mom's we have :) We miss you guys!

Cami @ All Things Lovely said...

Becca-
Hughie is a dream boat! I just want to squeeze him. Im so glad things are going well and you had your sweet mom to help you. What would we do with out mom's! We sure miss you guys, but it sounds like life is good in the Midwest!
Cam

Sarah said...

What a sweet post about Hugh. He really is so cute! I'm so glad things are going well with the adjustment!

Annie said...

Cute Becca,

So, I stumbled across your page through another blog and was so excited to hear about and see your darling family and your sweet new addition. Your baby Hughie is absolutely darling and you're as beautiful as ever. Loved hearing your tender thoughts about being a new Mommy. You summed it up so beautifully. I hope all is well in Omaha and I hope you don't care that I creep onto your page every now and then to see what you're up to. Say hi to Devin for me. Here's hoping you're getting some sleep every now and then! :)

Annie (Burton) Karren

Ryan and Ashley said...

Becca--you are so cute and so is little Hughie! I can't believe he is here and you and Debo have a little guy. Ryan says hi. We need to meet baby Hughie (and see you guys!)